I have made several changes to the previous post:https://junhaolin.opened.ca/individual-post-4/

Firstly, I changed the long direct quotation into short paraphrase. Next, I included the in-text citation as well as the reference list. Then, I included the discussion about how an “open” platform such as Twitter can help with the learning of students. Finally, I searched for another peer-reviewed article  related to the OER-enabled pedagogy in higher education to demonstrate the benefits of this kind of pedagogy in education and discuss its potential as a new kind of pedagogy.

Here is the revised one:

In the final week, I learned about OER-enabled Pedagogy. According to Wiley, OER-enabled pedagogy is the set of teaching and learning practices only possible or practical when you have permission to engage in the 5R activities. 5R refer to retain, reuse, revise, remix and redistribute. In order to be engaged in the 5R activities, the students have to engaged in either building upon previous works done by students or construct a new entity that offers other students permission to transform and adapt it. (Wiley & Hilton 2018) This idea is the opposite of the one I mentioned in post 3- “disposable assignments”. In order to combine constructionism and openness into OER-enabled pedagogy, Wiley put forward a new notion of “renewable assignments”. In this notion, the works and the assignments of students will become the open environment resources which not only can be used by the students who create them, but also benefit the students coming after.

The authors of the article show us several examples of OER-enabled Pedagogy.  In one of the examples,  the students are given extra credit to create tutorials resources such as tutorials videos, chapter summaries and review games for a particular topic. These tutorials then will be evaluated by the teacher, and some of them will be selected to be integrated into the course. Besides, the students who perform well in the course have the chance to be a teaching assistant in the course. The students also create other materials such as guided notes which are proved to be very useful for learning the course. The practice was very successful, the average grades on students assignments rose significantly as more student-created OER were introduced to the course. (Wiley & Hilton  2018) To me, the success of the practice is quite meaningful. It means that a new form of pedagogy was proved to be feasible. This kind of pedagogy greatly improves the engagement of students in designing the course. When I read the previous materials, I remembered a saying that the students should not just learn the knowledge, but they should create the knowledge at the same time. The idea of renewable assignments has made it come true. The students in the course also participated in the creation of the knowledge. Also, research has found that OER-learning benefits both academic staff and students. For academic staff, they regarded OER as useful for improving teaching quality in areas such as providing illustrations, teaching difficult subjects, and supporting student progression. As for students, they thought that OER improved the engagement, provided them with a diversity of materials, and helped them prepare better for the examination. What is more, OER makes it possible for mobile learning. (Nikoi et al 2012) The potential of OER-enabled Pedagogy in the future is great because of the rapid development of the internet. Some online platform such as Twitter gives strong support for this kind of pedagogy.

The “open” platform Twitter is a good example of OER-enabled Pedagogy. The term “open” means that all the people, whether they are in the course or not, can be engaged into the interactions. Last Thursday evening, we participated in a conversation related to open pedagogy in Twitter. The professors put forward several thoughtful questions related to open learning, and many people responded. During the process, people from all over the world can join the conversation and share their ideas, which is impossible for a distributed environment or classroom teaching. The ideas and conversations of the people will be recorded in the platform and are accessible openly for everyone. Those resources can be reused and adapted by other people coming after. Therefore, everyone is not only a learner, but also a producer of the knowledge. This kind of “open” platform can promote the communication and exchange of knowledge and thus help learners and educators.

Reference:

Wiley, D. & Hilton, J. (2018). Defining OER-enabled Pedagogy. International Review of Research in Open                     and Distance Learning, 19(4).

Nikoi, Samuel, and Alejandro Armellini. “The OER Mix in Higher Education: Purpose, Process, Product, and                Policy.” Distance Education, vol. 33, no. 2, Aug. 2012, pp. 165–184. EBSCOhost,                                                              doi:10.1080/01587919.2012.697439.